I am working on my PhD disseration, and thought I would share a few thoughts on what not to do…
1. Do not follow the rules concerning your PhD Candidacy to the letter
You should read and understand what is required.
2. Do not assume your professor can read your mind
If you can’t communicate your ideas, no one will understand them
3. Do not communicate with your professor
They are there to help you succeed
4. Do not write daily
You may find this the ultimate labor
5. Do not read daily
This should be a labor of love
6. Do not participate in academic, scholarly forums to engage with others
Sharing with others helps you understand your own research perspective.
7. Do not forget that there are people who wish to help you succeed
You have a lot of cheerleaders, not only academically, but with family and friends.
8. Do not have any hard dates
A goal without a deadline is but a wish…
9. Do not try to solve all the world’s problems
My biggest challenge – focus on one point!!
I am sure I will be revising this list over time, but it’s a start!